Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving at the Finca

Our Thanksgiving day started with Holy Hour at 6am! My part of cooking...mashed potatoes or papas de pura...began the night before with scrubbing 30 lbs of potatoes. Thursday Morning we peeled and boiled them all in one large pot and I mean LARGE pot. Football game started at 10 but kick off didn´t actually occur until 11am! People take this game pretty seriously and the kids all think we are ridiculous, most of them have never seen Futbol Americano. Dinner was served at 4pm on the menu: Stuffing, most Hondurans hate it, two salads, sweet potatoes, garlic potatoes, veggies-green bean casserole wanna be, turkey, and gravy. The food was absolutely wonderful, plus we have apple and pumpkin pie!!!
 
I also had two`emergencies throughout the day, Mary Kate and I killed a rat in the Clinic, the first one wa-hoo!!! Then we listened to Christmas music and wrote letters to family, it was really nice. Though I definitely missed the fam. I thought about all the jokes I was missing between the uncles and all the beloved questions about school and what the younger ones were-are doing with their lives.
 
The oldies leave in less than a week and I am starting to freak out a bit since there is still a lot I don´t know about the clinic and where things are and what not. New exciting things I have seen include more pregnant women, eye injuries, and lots of allergies this time of year.
 
In less than a month Krista and Alyssa two good friends from Camp will be coming to visit and will be staying over Christmas, so I am very excited for that, and so is everyone else here. Tami literally marked it in her calender! This month I will also be traveling to get my residency card, wow, who would have thought!
 
Well I hope all is well back home with the snow and cold, I wish some of that would come our way! Love you all very much, Deirdre

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving, Deirdre! It sounds like you've settled in nicely.

    If you haven't already watched the CMMB video on the volunteer program here it is: http://www.cmmbheals.org/medical-volunteer-program.

    Be sure to share this with your friends and family so they know what great work you and your colleagues are doing around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Deirdre!
    Love,
    Jake

    PS. Did my card make it to you?

    ReplyDelete