Sunday, May 29, 2011

Abril 2011

April started out not only as Fool´s day but also our 6 month anniversary! A Volunteers 6 months signifies many great things such as: you can now take vacation in the states, you can buy a cell phone, etc. I spent the day getting my residency card; so now I can purchase land, receive major discounts on almost all big purchases, along with the privileges of living in beautiful Honduras. Seriously who ever thought I would be living in another country long enough to need legal residency, let alone Honduras? Not me that is for sure!
This month was filled with things from the past. One community night we all picked out our favorite childhood story from the library and read it aloud to someone, in Spanish, which really put a different twist on things. I chose Para Siempre Querré or I will love you for Always in English. It was really a beautiful activity actually. It made most of us think about growing up and our parents and made me then reflect on the kids here and how many of them don{t even have one person who can share memories of their childhood or say, I remember when you did this… nor can they see how much they have grown. They have no consistence and no one they can say has loved them all through their life and share their triumphs and struggles, no one to say “I will love you forever and always!”
I had a visit from the former nurse, Beth, and Dr. Johnson and a med student who were all in Honduras for a brigade several hours away. The came for a clinic day and focused on our chronic patients with asthma, diabetes, and HTN. I learned a lot from Dr. Johnson and really enjoyed having Beth visit. While she was here we ended up getting a kid who had cut his leg with a machete just under his knee that I was able to do stitches on! If only every patient was as wonderful as he was.
Some challenging moments this month:              I learned some more parenting skills aka teenage girls can be real beast sometimes and not care at all! Mom, sorry for when I acted the same! Struggled a lot with my faith and what my purpose is here at the Farm.
Some triumphant moments this month:             Eat orange chocolate sitting on Mary Kate’s bed to celebrate her accomplishing some very important self goals. We had an awesome holy hour led by Sheena using a centering prayer around a frijole or bean, which is very appropriate for us here at the Farm. Our second retreat since the Finca was very productive and we grew closer as a community as we reflected one our thoughts of the Farm before coming and now since arriving what has changed good and bad.
Before I left all the kids asked me to bring back either food or the older boys all asked for a car, yeah right guys! Maybe I will bring back a Hot Wheel{s car!

No comments:

Post a Comment