Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Octubre-Noviembre 2012


In Central America, children get their own special day, Día del Niño, just like mother’s day and Father’s day. This year we went back to the Naval Base on the Trujillo peninsula. If you stand on our beach at the Finca they are directly north of us across the water. Everyone had a blast jumping off their dock (and when I say dock I mean a landing strip of cement about 15 feet above the water), seeing star fish the size of your dinner plate, and collecting more candy than imaginable from the piñatas.

About two weeks later the five new missionaries arrived, one of them a fellow Minnesotan from New Prague! We celebrated our MN pride at the annual talent show my “dancing” to a rap about the Midwest with our other community members from Chicago. She also brought some wild rice which was quite the mix-up on our rice and bean nights!

October 7th the Trujillo Diocese celebrated their 25th Anniversary with a youth vigil packed full of games and food and fun. Only the oldest kids were allowed to go. We had a march through Trujillo with each parish representing themselves. There were over 20 priests present and the mass was said in Spanish and in English; it was beautiful.

The end of October brought new jobs for the newbies at the end of their orientation which included intro to pizza making. Amanda and I are hoping Thursday night Pizza tradition continues after we leave in December. The 5th-9th graders participated in a Feria de Ciencias, or the Science Fair. There were very well done and all were very proud of the hard work they had put in over the last couple of weeks. All the schools in the surround areas came as well to see what our kids had done.

As December gets closer the sabios or wise ones (those who are leaving!) are handing off more of their responsibilities. We all no longer have cleaning day responsibilities or cooking days now that we are jubilado-ed or “retired” by Finca terms!  So last week was my last week of working on Clinic days. My fellow nurses took me out for lunch to celebrate, my class of missionaries had our pre-re-entry or pre-transition retreat, and I have been having many board game dates with our children,  hot chocolate dates with missionaries, and hair cut appointments (I am the adult hair cutter currently at the Farm).

As happy as I am to return home I am equally sad to leave this home and this family that I have been gifted here. I ask that you please pray for our transition from this beautiful place. May God Bless you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Much Love, Deirdre
p.s. check out the Finca Newsletter...I wrote the "Oldie" reflection!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Hard to believe you are "retired"! Pizza night is a great tradition! Wishing you all at FOTC a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving as well!

    xxooilymom

    ReplyDelete