Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Beginning of the End!



September 2012

All of the last I have experienced in the last month:

Last community dia de limpieza (cleaning day) where the house is literally stripped of everything and we take the hoses and buckets and drench the walls with bleach water, wash every dish, clean the gutters, reorganize the book shelves and throw at all the fubol’s with holes in them. 

Last dia de independencia (day of independence) including those for our sister countries of Nicaragua and Mexico (we have to Mexican-Americans and two Nicaraguans in our house as well). The school parades around the campo and this year we had a band with instruments donated to us from the manicipalidad (the local government). There were ballerinas, cheerleaders, peloton, the pillars of the school, the band, and more. Next to Christmas and Semana Santa (holy week) this is one of the most important days in their year!

Last community retiro (retreat) with “my” community. There will be others but unfortunately I am not part of the community that will remain come December 1st.  We went to un centro de retiro in Saba which felt like a floral selva (jungle) it was so beautiful, I felt like I was in a different world. We had lots of great conversations and time with God, watched the stars, sat in silence, challenged us to see the world and our own selves as it is. It was radical, ask me about it when I come home I am so excited to live it out!

Last room change day! Every six months we change rooms to live with different people of the community and this is the last one…only there for another two months.

It is so hard to grasp that two years has come and gone; I never thought I would feel it went by fast but it is almost over! I am daily trying to be grateful for this day and not think about or count down the days to leaving. I still have two months of work so I can’t “check out” yet :D Please pray for me and all those in my class (Lily, Mary Kate, Amanda, Betsy, Kate, Nils, Jacob & Rachel and there four boys: Jonah, Isaac, Ruben, Alias) that God is preparing for our transition back into a culture different from what we have been living in and that He gives us the courage to continue our life of simplicity, spirituality, community, and service.

Thank you for all of your support in ALL its forms. It has helped me in many ways.
Paz y Bien,
Deirdre

No comments:

Post a Comment